Blogs about wheelchairs. Wheelchair reviews. Wheelchair facts. Wheelchair Funnies. Cheap wheelchairs. Expensive wheelchairs. Scooters. Powerchairs. Find it all here!!

Monday 16 April 2007

Argos wheelchair review

It cost me £225 and the current Argos catalogue number is 045 0337.

It has pneumatic tyres and although a hand pump is thoughtfully included [and some tools for adjustments] I have no chance of inflating the tyres to the recommended 50 pounds pressure. Fortunately my electric pump that I use for my car fits the chair and so I do it the easy way.

The wheels are spoke type, not the alloy variety, and are very light. No idea whether the alloy sort fitted with puncture proof tyres are actually any lighter.

I purchased my chair in October 2005 and my main requirement was for a lightweight model that I could get in and out of the car easily. Having seen chairs at every price from £200 to £2000 I thought I would start cheap and if it was no good then I would not have lost much.

What is it like? Quite good, really. Although it is made in China [what isn't, you may ask] the fit and finish are good. The detachable wheels are particularly well done - no slack in the bearings.

It creaks and groans when in use but I check the tightness of fixings now and again and nothing seems about to fall off.

It is fairly light at 14 kilos but with the footrests attached it was still unmanageable. I have removed some parts and have bought the weight down by 5 kilos. All in all, a good chair and well worth the money.